Why is a safe and healthy working environment important? There is more to this question than one think.
Workplace safety is extremely important for every employee, no matter the industry. All employees deserve to work in a safe and protected environment. Health and Safety are the key factors for all industries. It is the company’s duty and responsibility to ensure that the employee is protected.
Nowadays, workplace health and safety procedures are vital for the well-being of employees and employers. Human loss is immeasurable and insufferable.
All working industries consists of safety hazards. The company’s management should devote their time to implement safety precautions that is required in the working environment to make sure that their workers are safe all the time.
Health and Safety Guidelines:
- Be aware of your surroundings: Once you are aware of the hazards that occur at your workplace, you are reducing risks and it allows you to take precautionary steps.
- Reduce workplace stress: Some employees are unfit and unhealthy due to their busy schedule. Long working hours and work-pressure contributes to stress in the workplace. Stress in the workplace does not only affect one’s professional life, but also one’s personal life. It is very important that employees take regular breaks, sit in an appropriate posture with an appropriate diet. Schedule your work accordingly to reduce stress in the workplace. It is advised that employees inform their management team should they feel overworked or fatigued.
- Use tools appropriately: Follow appropriate safety measures while using machinery or any other tool in the workplace that requires your full attention. Do not take any shortcuts when using dangerous tools or machinery. Taking shortcuts is one of the biggest reasons why workplace loss occurs. It is highly recommended that you use the correct tools and reduce the opportunity of workplace injury.
- Keep emergency exits clear and accessible: In case of an emergency, you will need quick access to the nearest exit. It is recommended that you ensure that emergency is obstacle free and easy to access.
- Inform your Supervisor about unsafe conditions: It is important that you inform your supervisor should a possible hazard or risk occur at the workplace. Supervisors are legally obligated to ensure that employees are functioning in a safe working environment. If employees are not working in unsafe conditions, it is the responsibility of the supervisor to assist with their condition to ensure that a safe working environment is created.
- Use mechanical assistance: Whenever you want to carry or lift heavy equipment, it is advised that you make use of a conveyor belt, crank or forklift. There are a lot of risks involved when lifting heavy equipment. Always ensure that you use the appropriate tools to prevent harming yourself.
- Stay Alert: There are employees who choose to ignore the alerts of potential hazards. Due to this, several workplace injuries or fatalities occur.
- Wear the correct safety equipment: It is essential that you always wear the correct safety equipment when at work. Safety equipment can be earplugs, hard hats, gloves, full-face masks, safety gloves and any other equipment which is classified as PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). PPE will prevent or reduce the incidents that occur at the workplace.
- Sit in a proper posture: If have a job that requires you to sit most of time then it is essential that you keep sit upright in a proper manner while working at a desk. Keep your shoulders in line and your back straight to prevent any spine problem.
Safety is one of the most important aspects in the working environment. Managers and business owners should always ensure that employees are functioning in a healthy and safe environment. Employees who feel safe will be more productive and active in the workplace.
* SAFETY FIRST*
Anon. 2018. Top 10 Reasons — Why workplace safety is Important? https://medium.com/@BastionSafe/top-10-reasons-why-workplace-safety-is-important-8797c978e1f9 Date of access: 2 June. 2019.