Communication skills are important to everyone. They are HOW we GIVE and RECEIVE information and convey our ideas and opinions to those around us:
Forms of communication:
- Verbal (sounds, language, tone of voice)
- Aural (listening and hearing)
- Non-verbal (facial expressions, body language and posture)
- Written (journals, e-mails, blogs and text messages)
- Visual (signs, symbols and pictures)
To an employer, good communication skills are essential. One of the challenges in the workplace is learning the specific communication styles of others and how and when to share your ideas or concerns. Communication skills are necessary for the development of self-advocacy and self-determination, important skills for lifelong success.