Whether you are the front office receptionist or an executive secretary, the following phone tips should always be followed, since it may be your initial point of contact with a client, it is your opportunity to make a good first impression ...:
- Always speak clearly.
- Use your normal tone of voice when answering a call, not shouting or speaking to soft..
- Do not eat or drink while you are on telephone duty.
- Do not use poor language or slang words. Never use swear words.
- Address the Caller in a professional, respectful manner.
- Listen to the Caller and what they have to say. Repeat the information back to the client when you are taking a message to ensure you verify the message.
- Be patient and helpful. Never snap back or be rude toward a caller even if they are upset, listen to the reason for them acting this way.
- Always ask if you can put the caller on hold, if you are responsible for answering multiple calls at once, first ask the caller politely if you may put them on hold. Never leave the person on hold for more than a few seconds as they may become upset and hang up.
- Focus on the call. Do not be distracted by people around you.