Phishing is everywhere.
Phishing is the attempt to obtain personal or any sensitive information related to individuals or businesses such as Usernames, ID numbers, Passwords, Addresses and Credit Card details. This is often used for malicious reasons, disguised and requested from a trustworthy entity, usually in an electronic communication such as an e-mail. This mail will be asking you to verify your personal details or ask you to log into a website, possibly looking familiar to you.
- Internet: Confirm your web URL. Don’t make use of websites sent via other links or e-mails that require sensitive information such as: Banking Details, Credit Card Pins, etc. Most websites are now secured by an s prefix in the URL (https:// ) to indicate the website is Secured and trustworthy.
- ATM: Do not ask for help from any strangers. Also don’t accept help if you are offered help in any form and we weary for funny looking devices on an ATM. Scammers use devices to clone cards on the fly.
- Shopping Centers: Keep all personal items such as wallets, handbags and cellphones safe and close to you at all times.
- Petrol Garages: If you are paying with a credit card, debit card etc. keep your eyes on your card at all times, make sure your card does not get cloned /swapped
- Work Place: Lock your computer at all times when it is unattended, never leave it accessible for anyone when you are not around. Personal information are easily accessible. Make sure you regularly backup your information to a secure external device or secure cloud storage. If you use an external hard drive, keep it stored away from the place where you keep your computer. If you make use of a laptop, keep the backup device stored in a safe, either at home or work.
Stay vigilant with your information and data!